Monday, July 28, 2014

Homemade Almond Milk

After my trip to New York and visiting my girlfriends, I was inspired by Lauren to make my own Almond Milk. She is studying nutrition at NYU and knows her stuff when it comes to eating healthy. This was a messy but fun process. I had no real use for the milk, but decided to make it anyways. We used it as creamer in our coffee at work for the following few days.



You will need:
1 cup of almonds
water
cheese cloth or a nut bag
Vanilla extract

Put raw almonds in a bowl and cover with water. Soak for 1-2 days. Once soft, drain and rise with water. Put almonds in a blender with 2 cups of water. Mix and blend until consistent. Strain the mixture through the cheese cloth. This is where things got messy! I had to use my hands to "milk" the cheesecloth and squeeze out the milk. Save the left over dry almond meal for another recipe.  Once you have strained and squeezed all the milk from the mixture, store in an air tight container and refrigerate. The milk will last up to 4 days or until it starts to smell weird.

** Separation is normal! Just give it a shake.

For all my recipes, click here!


No comments:

Post a Comment