Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Weddings Are Better in Flipflops

We spent the last week at the beautiful Dreams La Romana Resort in the Dominican Republic to celebrate the wedding of one of my oldest and dearest friends! Ashley and Travis kicked of their relationship our junior year of high school at my 17th birthday party on Cedar Island. They met on an island and fittingly got married on an island.

Ashley and I met in first grade at Norfolk Academy and immediately became friends. As kids we were often mistaken as twins (sometimes the Olsen's).  Fortunately for me we have remained friends since then and I will always have a special place in my heart for her.

Travis and I met when we were in ninth grade at a middle school crew regatta. After dating another one of our friends for a few months, Travis and I still remained friends.. It was only fitting that I invited him to my island birthday party, because I obviously knew that he and Ashley would hit it off immediately.

The trip was one of a lifetime. Ashley and Travis's friends were the best ever. I miss them already. We spent our days in the sun drinking, reading, eating and lounging. Occasionally we would bust out a game of water polo or beach volleyball. When sober enough (or not) we went sailing or kayaking on site.

In lieu of a traditional rehearsal dinner, we traveled to Punta Cana for the day for a private catamaran cruise and snorkeling excursion. The crew was not prepared for our group, as we literally drank the boat dry. Luckily a skiff full of more alcohol arrived just before we started to plan a mutiny.

The wedding was Friday evening under a beautiful waterfront gazebo. The bride and groom wrote their own vows which coincidentally both mentioned "two legged and four legged children". Following the ceremony was a cocktail hour on the pier with entertainment from a local mariachi band. Dinner was a seated buffet, topped with a much needed rain dusting to keep things cool. We danced all night and continued the after party at the resorts discoteca!

With last week being Memorial Day weekend, that also meant the start of my 2014 Summer Bucket List! I was also to check off a few items already!!

Enjoying a frozen lemonade and modeling our flower crowns from Fairview Place

Swimming in the Natural Pool in Punta Cana 

Just a handful of our group enjoying the beach!

Bride and Groom playing floating beer pong in the pool


Joe and I snorkeling in Punta Cana

I can't get enough of this 

Congrats to Mr. and Dr. Powell!!!


1 comment:

  1. Looks like you had such a magical week! And a nice start to your list...good luck!

    ReplyDelete