Sunday, February 26, 2012

Burlap and Oysters!

Oyster Roast season is almost over! What ever will you do with all those empty oyster shells?! [The best bet would be to recycle them into the Elizabeth River, but we won't get into that right now.] At the peek of the oyster roast season, I came across the idea of making an oyster shell wreath for my parent's house. The oysters were found off of Cedar Island, VA and were quickly consumed here in Norfolk. My dad always roasts his oysters in a burlap sack, so I thought burlap would be the prefect material for mounting the shells. Unfortunately I made this back in December, so I do not have step by step pictures for the reading impaired. Have fun, the creative freedom on this project is endless!!

Oyster Shell Wreath






Materials:
about a bushel of oyster shells
steamer (optional)
bleach
hardcore scrubbing brushes (such as a willow pad or steel wool)
styrofoam ring (which ever size you want!)
one long piece of burlap (about 4 inches wide)
hot glue gun and glue
fake spanish moss (optional)

First I steamed the shells for about 15 minutes on very high heat.  This process potentially loosens the yucky stuff on the shells.  Now the hard part, scrubbing. I used willow pads and a toothbrush with steel brushes. I scrubbed each individual shell until my fingers bled! But the finish product was worth the hard work.  Next I soaked all the shells in the sink with hot water and bleach for about 2 hours. After draining the shells and allowing them to dry over night, I could begin the wreath! I simply wrapped the styrofoam ring (mine was a 18 inches in diameter) in the burlap and secured it with the hot glue from the glue gun.  Then you can really get those creative juices flowing. I opted to glue my shells with the "shiny side" out in a circle pattern. I love how some shells are piggy-backing others, and the mussels also add a nice touch. 



I also made two smaller wreaths (12 inch diameter) with extra materials and the smaller oyster shells. On top of the burlap I glued a thin layer of spanish moss and patterned the shells, some shiny side out, some rough side out. 



One Dollar Picture Frame



Materials:
Dollar Store frame
acrylic paints
left over burlap
a cute picture!

This was so cheap and extremely easy! I bought a wooden frame (8.5 x 11) at the Dollar Store, globbed on a few coats of paint which I already had, taped a cute picture of my honey and I to some burlap, framed it, and Voila! A beautiful, expensive looking picture frame for just $1.00!


One Dollar Message Board
(picture to come later)


Materials:
Dollar Store frame
left over burlap
dry erase marker

Yet another basically free project! I framed burlap a 8.5 x 11 inch frame. Then I hung it on the wall in our kitchen, and with the dry erase marker I posted our monthly bills and when they are due. This was almost too easy!


No comments:

Post a Comment