Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Oatmeal Breakfast Bars

I am obsessed with breakfast foods. I left the grocery store yesterday with turkey sausage patties, turkey sausage crumbles, a dozen eggs, a carton of egg whites, and a box of my new found love Jimmy Dean Delights (so good!!). A few months ago I made my own granola bars, so I had a bunch of quick oats sitting in the pantry. This afternoon on my lunch break (this was so easy), I found a recipe for these breakfast bars and mixed together the ingredients in less than five minutes. I threw the dish in the fridge and returned to work. Later I baked these bad boys for a few minutes while watching "My Best Friend's Wedding". Since the "batter" was already prepared, I didn't miss a second of this amazing flick.  Unfortunately I do not have the nutritional value of the bars. Here's how it goes:


Oatmeal Breakfast Bars


4 cups dry oats
1.5 cups flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup sugar (mine was organic)
1 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp salt
3/4 to 1 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1.5 cups Craisins (or any other dried fruit)



Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until the mixture is moist and lumps are removed


Firmly pack the mixture into 13 x 9 in well greased casserole dish and bake uncovered for 20 -25 min.



Once cooled, cut the bars however you please and enjoy!!  The best part of these breakfast bars is that you can add or replace any of the mix-ins. The original recipe called for raisins. I prefer Craisins, plus I already had some in my pantry.  I personally think adding some nuts, like almonds, would be awesome. Or maybe even some chocolate chips if you are feeling adventurous!
*For the freezer:  After cutting, individually wrap each bar in wax paper and freeze. Defrost for a few seconds in the microwave and you're good to go!



1 comment: