Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Fun with Crayons!



My apartment lacks art work, and we renters lack the money to afford art. Again, this idea came from Pinterest.  The best part was it only cost me $4.00!! Originally I planned on glueing fake flowers to the tips of the melted crayons to mimic a flower garden (hence the greens and earth tones), but this melted differently than expected so I decided to just leave it as is.

You will need:
A few boxes of crayons (I went to the Dollar Store)
Canvas of any size
Hot glue gun and glue sticks
Hair dryer


First pick out the colors from the boxes you wish to use and arrange them however you choose. Then glue the crayons to the bottom of the canvas with the hot glue gun. Next time I would splurge and buy Crayola brand crayons, because their wrappers match the colors. Its creates a better effect. With the Dollar Store ones, I arranged them sunny-side up [Ha Ha].


Once the glue is set, turn the canvas over so the crayons are on the top of the canvas, facing pointed side down. I did this is the bathroom, tile is a much easier clean up than carpet. Use your hair dryer on high heat and blow it over the crayons until they start to melt. Angle the canvas about 15 degrees off the floor so the wax will slowly drip down the canvas. Now you can be creative, focus the hair dryer on a certain area if you want to elongate that particular section. You can also rotate the canvas back and forth so the wax melts in different, crazy directions.



You can then hang your masterpiece with either the crayons on the top, or on the bottom. I chose on the bottom because I think its a neat effect of having the crayons melt into the wrappers. 


Here we are! A super fun, easy and cheap way to decorate your home.  
**For the mothers out there: This would be really cute in a kid's playroom or bedroom!!


No comments:

Post a Comment