Thursday, March 22, 2012

Turkey Stuffed Peppers




I saw this recipe on Skinny Taste and just had to try it out! It looked like a fun thing to cook and I loved how healthy they are. One serving, or one half of each stuffed pepper, is 185 Calories and contains 20 grams of protein. I used Brown Rice instead of white, and I also added some crushed red pepper. I omitted the onion because I don't care for those crunchy devils. To make my life easier I made the brown rice on my lunch break. 

You will need:
1 lb of ground turkey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 onion, minced
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp cumin powder
salt to taste
3 large red bell peppers
1 cup fat free chicken broth
1/4 cup tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
nonstick cooking spray
reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a medium sauce pan with Pam and turn onto medium heat.  Add onion, garlic, and cilantro. Sauté for two minutes and then add the ground turkey. Season with salt, garlic powder and cumin power, and cook until meat is browned. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Simmer on low for about 5 minutes and then stir in the rice.
Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and remove stems and seeds. Spoon the meat and rice mixture into the peppers and place in a baking or casserole dish. Pour the other 1/2 of the chicken broth into the bottom of the pan. Cover tightly with tinfoil and cook for 35 minutes. Uncover and top with cheddar cheese. Enjoy!!

**Next time I will add black beans to the meat and rice mixture. Canned corn could also be a yummy option. 




SORRY! I have to apologize for not having step by step pictures for my recipes on my blog. I get so caught up in cooking that I forget to take snapshots!! 



No comments:

Post a Comment